Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Loren Coleman - It is time to think

Matt Crowley loves mid tarsal breaks - especially with his quickly and crudely made 'squatch feet!

Recently I wrote a brief article on how I felt Patterson faked his footprints and Loren Coleman responded to me here.

What is funny, is that he not once addresses my point that the toes appear faked:
These are the tracks that Patterson claimed the Bigfoot made from his famous 1967 film. Notice the toes. How smooth and perfectly shaped they are. Also notice that despite the deep impression of the foot, the only part of the toe that shows in the plaster is the round tips of the toe. No other part of the toe is seen in the deep plaster cast. This suggests that it was not made by an actual fleshly foot stepping down and putting weight down. Shouldn’t the toes smoosh into each other, not maintain a perfect round form, and show more than just the tips of the toe from such a deep impression?
Nowhere does he address the toes in his article. Instead he and his posse insults me and carries on with side issues all while avoiding what I said like an ostrich with its head in the sand.

So I guess Loren Coleman admits that there is something wrong with the toes, but refuses to defend it, hoping that it will go away.

What is hilarious is that Loren says:

Titmus also treated these “trophy tracks” as items to be “cleaned up” and some of the early letters talk of Titmus “scrubbing up” the casts. He wanted to have them without imprefections, to be presented as white, smooth objects. Titmus, furthermore, actually sold cast copies from the very beginning, and some examples from that time demonstrate the cast surfaces were worked on to look smooth, with plaster edges trimmed.
If Loren was truly interested in science and having bigfoot researchers seen as credible people, she would be outraged at people who alter evidence, especially those who feel that they need to alter evidence for the motive of financial gain. Instead, she passes it off as acceptable, but I suppose you have to when your passion is lacking in concrete evidence.

Let us move back to Patterson and his bigfoot tracks. Since Loren Coleman is choosing to avoid the apparent telltale signs of fake casts in the toe region, I will put forth a bit more evidence towards fake casts from both an acquaintance and brother-in-law of Roger Patterson:

Another important eyewitness Greg Long discovered is Harvey Anderson, the former owner of a gun and camera store in Yakima. Anderson claims that Patterson came into his shop one day with a plaster cast of a footprint allegedly left by Bigfoot and sought to rent a camera and get advice on how to film such a creature in the wild. According to Anderson, Patterson claimed he had not only seen a Bigfoot, but that it had touched his car and had actually lifted up one end. Anderson decided to go along with the story: "I was kind of getting a kick out of it, but I realized that he was lying to me or having hallucinations about the thing that came out of the woods and picked up his car."

After talking briefly about his alleged encounter, Patterson unwrapped an alleged Bigfoot cast. Anderson immediately doubted the authenticity of the item. "I said to him, 'It looks like it's too narrow on the front part because it couldn't stand erect. Based on the description you've given me of this tall man or tall animal, you have to have it broader at the ball of the foot. 'Oh, no,' he said, 'he stands right up.' I said, 'Well, it doesn't appear to be correct. It looks to me like it should be wider on the front where the ball of the foot is. For the length of the foot, it won't work.' He [Patterson] said, 'Well, I can solve that problem. I'll take some more casts.'"

Three days later, Patterson returned to ask Anderson for input on his latest efforts, showing him new casts and asking, "What do you think of that?" Anderson replied, "That looks better. That looks proportionate." Anderson says, "See, I did not know the guy, did not know his intention. You have to realize that people came in and out of the store all the time. You don't know them. You just wait on them and service their needs. I thought he was pulling a joke on somebody."

Patterson then told Anderson, "I have to ask you never to say anything about this because I've done this for my wife because I'm dying of cancer. I want to leave something for my wife." "What the hock," Anderson says now, "If people will buy it, why not? People will buy anything. He was giving me this sob story about his health, and he wanted to leave something for his wife, and you know, I wasn't doing it [shooting a fake film]. I was just listening to his story. I really didn't pay that much attention to it. It wasn't important."

Additional eyewitness testimony that Patterson faked Bigfoot prints COllies independently from Roger Patterson's brother-in-law Bruce Mondor: "Roger made the footprints, and he explained the whole damn thing to me. He showed me the big foot; it didn't have an arch in it. It had toes like it should have.... And I asked him ... 'What do you do, you pick this up and slam it down?' It had to weigh twenty-five or thirty pounds. He said, 'Yeah, that's what I do.' I said, 'Then what do you do there [in the impression on the ground]?' He said, 'I pour plaster of Paris in there.'"

Loren Coleman then moves on to talk about Jeffrey Meldrum's mid tarsal break theory in the footprints seen. Yes, the same Meldrum who had to admit that he made an error in supporting the notion that there were dermal ridges on the Mount Onion Cast. Yes, that is also the same Meldrum who originally fell for the Fox hoax snowwalker video and falsely claimed that the creature was much taller than it truely was. Well anyways, what Loren Coleman and Meldrum don't tell you is that humans wearing fake bigfoot feet also leave a mid tarsal break - how convenient for them to leave out. What great evidence..."bigfoot makes tracks similar to humans faking bigfoot prints." That is the same as typical believer shenanigans like "bigfoot makes sounds like owls" as discussed in a different post of mine. So that any evidence can be seen as support for bigfoot - even an owl hoot. What a hoot!

Loren also points out the film of Patterson making the casts, there were 2 reels. Yes, in one reel Bob Heironimus (the guy who took 2 and passed 2 polygraphs saying it was a hoax) is seen in the film and Gimlin the guy who hasn't taken a polygraph is seen dressed up as an "Indian Guide." They from that point on lied to the public in early marketing of the film by continuing to say that Gimlin was an Indian Guide. One other thing of note with the 2nd reel is that there is a time discrepency that believers have came up with alternate, but contradictory theories as to explain how the film can still fit the story. My favorite given is Grover Krantz's from his book Big Footprints on page 32: "The shape of a footprint can be dug into the ground with the fingers and/or a hand tool, the interior pressed flat, and it can then be photographed or cast in plaster. My first footprint cast was made by a student in just this manner (Fig.10). Roger Patterson told me he did this once in order to get a movie of himself pouring a plaster cast for the documentary he was making. (A few days later, he filmed the actual Sasquatch; See Chapter 4)."

A quote from the man who has yet to take a polygraph, Gimlin.

"I was totally convinced no one could fool me. And of course I'm an older man now...and I think there could have been the possibility [of a hoax]. But it would have to be really well planned by Roger [Patterson]." -Bob Gimlin

My spin on that is, and it is purely opinion, but he sounds guilty for fooling so many people and making so many people dedicate so much of their life to a false reality. There is no conviction that what he filmed was real - given the circumstances there should be. He is saying, be mad at Patterson who is dead and not me!

Gimlin and Patterson could never keep their story straight. Basic parts of their story changed, yet none of this is suspicious to a believer. To a skeptic it is intriguing.


Left to Right -- Roger Patterson, John Ballard, Jerry Merritt, Howard Heironimus, Bob Gimlin (wearing a wig falsely disguised as an Indian Guide) and Bob Heironimus.

UPDATE: Loren Coleman is actually a male and I can sympathize with the name thing. What is striking is that Coleman is supposedly a bigfoot "expert" and is worshipped by believers. As someone new to the Bigfoot thing I have already made an expert avoid points and exposed the experts short comings in not doing homework himself. It is quite invigorating to go head to head with and show the shortcomings of a so called expert. Of course, people on Coleman's board have said that since I didn't initially know who Coleman was that my points should be ignored. Chosen ignorance is bliss, can't refute them so you ignore them. Of course, deep down when you have to resort to that you know your belief in bigfoot is BS. I have downgraded my personal belief that bigfoot might exist since this is confirmation that the field is apparently filled with people who have tunnel vision.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bigfoot believers and skeptics are both fools, wasting their time on something that doesn't exist. Great arguments against Bigfoot, but your website could use a better finishing touch. There will always be more Bigfoot believers on the web as they have something to prove.

Anonymous said...

Loren Coleman still beleves in the Lockness Monster and a few other silly things. Mainly because he makes a lot of money on books about them. Check out some of the real Bigfoot investigators that do their field work. You will find thermal images of actual Sasquatch that are pretty impresive to say the least.

Anonymous said...

This is ridiculous, stop arguing over ridiculous little things like this. It amazies me how people can get so worked up over nothing like this.

Loren Coleman said...

Cleanse The Bigfoot Database: Cast Out The Hourglass Casts

http://www.cryptozoonews.com/hourglass/

Loren Coleman, Director
International Cryptozoology Museum
Portland, Maine